We are the future in the past.
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SigX.NET
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:11 am 

The Main Display

The Controls

The Debug Tab

Just wanted to show progress. I've got the basic architecture worked out and I'm ready to start adding features. I think I've got a way figured out to use plug-ins, so I'm going to go backwards a bit and modify the weather and tune-player subsystems to be plug-ins, and then make each of the other features an independent plug-in.

That way if someone doesn't like the way, say, weather works, they can write their own plug-in and stick it in the directory with SigX.NET, and it will replace the default one.

N.B. The plug-ins will each get their own tab on the tab-control for their configuration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:24 pm 

that looks neat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:08 pm 

I've got the plugin subsystem working well. I made a SigXPluginSDK, which makes it fairly simple to roll your own plugin. I started with the weather plugin which isn't all that simple because I wrote a web service client SOAP interface to talk to ... wherever it is. wsje?

So I'm going to convert the Winamp interface into a plugin. That should be about as simple a plugin as you could have so it will make a good sample. That'll take me a day, or two. At that point I'll be ready to let somebody else try out the SDK. Maybe that guy that keeps asking for MBM would like to write a plugin. :-) Too bad there's not .NET for Macs, I could get those guys off your back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:45 am 

Ok, I've got the plugin process pretty well worked out. Winamp was a very simple plugin, but not surprisingly, it still managed to confuse me for a while.

Here's a question, Yuriy: Is the alternate weather interface (you know, the one that uses letters instead of a zip) a trade secret, or can you share it with me?

The regular interface is great when it works, but sometimes it doesn't and I'd like to be able to automatically fall over.

Thanks,

-- Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:51 am 

for world weather I use http://weather.noaa.gov/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:33 am 

And then you parse it out of the HTML that comes back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:33 am 

yeah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:34 am 

buddy1007 wrote:
yeah
Ugh. EJSE makes it so easy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:37 am 

So do you manually search for the tags, or do you use one of the MS XML reader classes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:43 am 

I manually search for it. I wrote a really simple search function that finds the words right in front of the data and < right after it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:48 am 

Well, I guess it can be narrowed down by the fact that the data starts right after the first <hr> tag and ends at the next <hr> tag...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:51 pm 

I'm going through In-Depth HTML in University.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:52 am 

Kipper^ wrote:
I'm going through In-Depth HTML in University.

Really?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:04 pm 

Just thought I'd check in. I haven't had much chance to work on SigX.NET lately because I've had to do my real work. <sigh>

My plug-ins are working great. In fact, you can run more than one instance of one at a time. Why would you want to do that, you ask? Well, suppose you'd like to show the weather in two different places, like where you are and where the love of your life is. Just put two copies of the plug-in dll in the plug-in directory and bob's your uncle.

My latest idea is to use the Microsoft TerraServer to dl a map of the area centered around your zipcode and use that as the image. Make it very pale, i.e. almost transparent... I gotta look at your settings page and see how easy it would be to upload the image everytime someone changed their zipcode...

I've had a guy helping me beta-test (beta-test, hell, more like alpha-test ... shit, more like "technology preview" :) ) and the program is pretty stable. I suppose I'd be willing to let others have a look as long as they were satisfied with the limited functionality -- weather, winamp, text, Outlook sigs...

Oh...I had an idea for a user interface for a more complex text layout. You know how if you right-click on the toolbar for Internet Explorer and choose "Customize Toolbar," how you get that box with one window on the left with things you *can* have, and another box on the right with things you *do* have, and then you have >>Add and <<Remove buttons and MoveUp and MoveDown? Well, that thing is a Win common control and is called the "Collection Editor".

I'm thinking that I could have one of those and include separators, tabs, newlines, text, as well as the various variables. It wouldn't be drag and drop, or even 2D, but if you had a preview window at the bottom I think it would serve. At least I could have a more complex layout than simply line-by-line, and it would help those folks that can't deal with editing a text file...

-- Rick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:43 pm 

sounds good. if there is anything i can do to help, send me a pm.

the image upload shouldnt be too hard, but i dont know how good it will look, because the map is so crappy, any area looks just like any other area, unless you live in a maze-type street.